National Curriculum consultation 2013
From 2010, we campaigned for more than three years for citizenship to stay on the national curriculum, amid strong indications that the UK government would drop it.
In 2013, in addition to our work with Democratic Life, we submitted our own response to the DfE's final national curriculum review (pdf).
Our efforts paid off. The new citizenship curriculum for key stages 3 and 4, published in September 2013, includes specific changes that we called for:
- explicit reference to human rights and the United Nations
- more prominent references to democracy, public institutions and the role of voluntary groups in society
- stronger references to active citizenship, rather than simply 'volunteering'
- financial education widened to include how public money is raised and spent
- clearer progression between key stages.
Also see Democratic Life coalition.